Saturday, April 26, 2008

India is 4th in Green Cards issued in 2007

As many as 65,353 Indians received the much sought after ''green card'' or the legal permanent residency (LPR) status in the US in 2007; a jump of nearly 4,000 from the previous year.

Though India along with Haiti is the only two countries among the top 20 nations whose citizens received green card last year, latest figures released by Department of Homeland Security reveal that India has slipped from second spot in 2005 to the fourth place in 2007.

Source: India slips to 4th spot in receiving green card

NOTE: This number contains all types of GCs awared - Family, Employment Based etc.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you will stop crying for a while, you will see the real injustice in US immigration policy. We make Canadians - yes, Canadians - take as long as anybody else. I really hope this is not true for the Brits, too. These are 3 countries who have been brothers since well, we took one and kicked the others ass. Why do well educated, valuable, non-criminal CANADIANS take 10 years to becomes citizens. 9/11 ... come on. Fight the right fight.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Brit.
I think that the total time to become US citizen will be about 15 years for me. I'm currently stuck in the green card system (since 2002 or earlier depending on how you count it).

I'm not expecting any special treatment because of where I was born.

However, I did expect fair and reasonable treatment, and a 15 year wait is not reasonable for anyone who is qualified.