Saturday, July 15, 2006

Ban Hunting please

Wonder how many of you will support hunting after reading this piece?

Environmental Education

Here is the snippet that is relevant:

It happened many years ago when I was in my twenties. I was serving in the Forest Department then and acquired the habit of bringing down a bird or two for dinner now and then.

The day was particularly hot and it had taken a long time and much effort to stalk a pair of birds, a variety of pigeons locally called "manipura". Finally, the pair rested on an elevated piece of ground. Carefully I got within range, took aim, and fired. One bird lay dead in the ravine below and the other was nowhere to be seen.

As I approached to collect the dead bird, a male, my attention was drawn by its mate circling above. Hardly had I retreated some distance when I observed a strange and most moving scene.

The female came down and was pecking at something. Closer scrutiny showed that it was swallowing something. I do not know what. There was no food there to feed on. It was in fact swallowing pebbles. After it had swallowed a good quantity, the bird flew straight up, high in the air, closed its wing and dropped straight to earth like a rocket, and lay dead.

[...]


Imagine celestial beings hunting humans for passtime food or fun.

NBA Star Yao Ming has signed up for Wildlife Preservation.
Yao Ming

No comments: